Monday, January 02, 2006

This year and last...

Well here we are at the start of a new year. It seems to me that I should either start making a few more entries or quit all together. So while this is not a New Years Resolution lets see if I can improve….

So to bring things up to date;

My parents came up to visit just before Christmas. We really enjoyed their company and I hope they can do it again some time. It’s a big trip though and, what with fuel prices, it is never going to be something done very frequently. Unfortunately with Badger having a total rest order from the Vet, he had to go and stay with Lorii’s parents while my parents’ dogs were around. Shadow and Breeze had a great time on the beach, though I fell climbing the sea wall and hurt my back.

My back has been very slow to heal. The immediate bruising and stiffness cleared up as expected, but I live in fear of sneezing. Every time I sneeze it is as if someone is sticking a knife in my spine. The Doc thinks I may have bruised my Thoracic Ligaments, but said if the pain does not go in two weeks to return. Well it has been more than two weeks so I’ll be making another appointment soon.

Just before Christmas both Lorii and the kids were struck down with very heavy colds. While the kids losing the last week off school is no major drama, Lorii too ill to organise Christmas was. In the end it all got sorted, though we missed the deadline for the last post on the card front. The children, as always, got some great gifts. Jacob got a remote control Dalek, and a battery charger to ensure the intergalactic invasion does not get put on hold. He also received a digital camera, so I can see him posting lots of pictures on Flickr too. Katie got lots of cool clothes, including a Harry Potter scarf that she lives in, as well as some oriental style pyjamas that she is happy to spend all day in. Lorii was given some Channel 19 and I got OSX 10.4 for the Mac.

The New Year was seen in at the Paparazzi restaurant on Gynn Square. The food was stunning and Karaoke was laid on for afters. I embarrassed myself with a rendition of Queens ‘Crazy Little Thing Called Love’ and unfortunately there is video evidence. Lorii’s sister Mel, who was back from Australia for Christmas, led us all in a chorus of ‘Sweet Caroline’ and the video of this too is tainted with proof that I cannot hold a note in a bucket.

As I write this Lorii is accompanying Mel to the airport to return to Oz. At some point the family has got to get back into the nine to five swing again. But with my fortieth birthday and a trip to Center Parcs looming on the horizon I’m not sure when or how…

Have a happy new year everyone.

No comments: