Sunday, November 19, 2006

The Yawn

A friend once told me there was only one yawn in the world. But I've been thinking about this and I'm not so sure it is true. I think there may be two!

You see a yawn is capable of instantaneous travel from person to person. Sometimes a yawn will jump around a room making each person yawn in turn. It is this phenomenom that has led others to believe that the yawn is infectious. My friend has never seen two people yawn at exactly the same time; a syncronised yawn. So he has deduced that there is only one in the world.

But I think the yawn is searching. I think the yawn is lonley. If you fake a yawn you are probably going to yawn for real soon after. This is a yawn visiting to see if the fake yawn was the 'other' yawn. If someone else yawns you may find yourself yawning too; once again this may be the other yawn in search of its mate. I think yawns get a kick out of performing a syncronised yawn. They strive to perform this rare feat of bodily puppetry. To jump into two people, take over their bodies simultaniously, and to make them yawn in unison brings the simple yawn great pleasure.

So next time you yawn be ready to repeat the feat, as the other yawn takes over your body in search for its mate.

No comments: