Sunday, March 27, 2005

Badshot Lea, Surrey, UK 1982


Badshot Lea, Surrey, UK 1982
Originally uploaded by Canon Fodder.
I took this when I was sixteen. I'd gotten a tripod for my birthday and was keen to use it. I had seen the trains going by on the horizon from my bedroom window and was keen to see if I could make a good timed exposure. The snow was heavy for southern England and as I waited for a train I froze my butt off. However, the picture does not do justice to the amazing spectacle of that train passing under the bridge I was camped out on. With the ice causing huge arcs of electricity from the electrified rail, and the train moving slowly in case of drifts, it was lit up like a space ship from close encounters. I will never forget that moment. Anyway, in the next few years of life the negative got lost and the only print left got damaged. This is the result of may hours in Photoshop removing creases and mending tares. While lots of inconsistencies are still visible, they were all lost once the image was sent down to the large format printer, and I now have a huge copy of one of my favourite pictures over my mantle.

No comments: