Saturday, April 16, 2005

Ford-Found On Roadside, Dead


Ford-Found On Roadside, Dead
Originally uploaded by Canon Fodder.
A totally crazy day today with many blogable moments so settle in for a good read. Lorii and I decided that we needed a new bed today, and we also needed to pop into town and buy a present for baby Ben now that he is home. So, with Katie out with her friends, I loaded the rest of the family in the car and set off for the furniture shop. As I approached the store, the junction it sits on does not allow traffic to turn right into the car park. So I drove past looking for somewhere to turn around. At the next set of traffic lights I went to turn right, into a car park for a car hire store where I could turn round. Now as I went to make this turn I could not see the oncoming road as there was a large white van facing me also looking to turn to his right. However as the lights turned to red as I sat in the middle of the junction I felt it was safe to proceed. Wrong! Just as I moved off a bus shot from behind the van, it had obviously been lurking in wait. I tried hard to stop, but the bus didn’t. Well it did, but only after it had taken half the bumper off the front of the car in exchange for some fetching green paint.

We stopped and exchanged details. The bus driver decided he did not want the bumper he had just ripped from my car so I put it in the boot. Everyone was asked if they were okay, and as everyone felt fine we went on our way. As we drove home Lorii said that her neck was starting to hurt. So when I got in I’m straight on to the insurance people. They are very helpful, which seems wrong somehow, I’m sure they’ll make up for it later. Anyhow they arrange for a garage to take the car in hand on Monday and for a hire firm to deliver a car on Monday too.

Next I call the police to report the accident, they take the details and tell me to take Lorii to the hospital. Great, both our hearts sink at the prospect of a Saturday afternoon spent kicking out heels in A&E. So we gather some good reading material and head for the door. Just then a lass called Sarah calls to ask if she can walk our dog for us, which is sweet but inconvenient. So we say no, we have been involved in a traffic accident and are on our way to hospital. She says, “Oh what happened?” We say, “We were hit buy a bus.” Her reply will live with me to the day I die, as the last thing I expected was, “Was it a No.7?”

So we get to hospital who broke every record for speedy service. The only comment the nurse made, as she confirmed Lorii had whiplash, was there would soon be the entire passenger manifest in off the bus, claiming whiplash too. So now I sit here typing this Lorii is off buying drugs, and I’m awaiting a visit by the law who will probably wait until there is something good on the telly before coming round. Ho hum.

No comments: