Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Canon Fodder

When I chose the alias of Canon Fodder I really did not put a great deal of thought into the process. I was getting slaughtered in Unreal; I figured that the name would fit while I was still a noob and if I ever got good... Well lets say no one likes being told, "You were killed by Canon Fodder."

But I got lazy. Which is not such a deviation from my usual personality type. So from that point whenever I got asked to supply an online nickname I gave Canon Fodder. So while I am not the sole user of the handle, (I'm not even the only Jason Long) there is a fair chance if you meet a Canon Fodder online it'll be me. So obviously I blog under the name, I also use it on Flickr which has become a little embarrassing; as I now own a Nikon. I had to explain the origin of the handle when I joined the Nikon D40x users group.

I've taken a quick look at some of the other users of the name. It's quite a varied bunch;

First off there is a Wikipedia entry for Canon Fodder which to my ignorant delight was a 2000AD Comic character! I enjoyed reading my friends issues of 2000AD in the past and while I am a fan of such characters as Strontium Dog and Judge Dredd I never new their was a Canon Fodder. The Character has his own page on the 2000AD Website.

There is a sports blog using the name as well as the url, but I do not understand why. It is American, so there may be no reason.

Delightfully Trekies or should I say Trekers have entitled the page where they debate and fix continuity issues Canon Fodder

There is a slide show using the name. Once again I am clueless for the reason.

Finally a fellow Blogger has used Canon Fodder for his Blog He/She seems obsessed with reading a great big list of books. Once again no specific reason is given for the title. But I suspect the may be a play of words going on here. Canon with only one n is not a misspelt word. It could be a fact or a religious leader...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As owner of the "slide show" I feel I should explain... I use a Canon D-SLR to shoot the images which feed my slide show i.e. the images are the slideshows fodder. Kind of.

So, Canon Fodder is a play on words... which I thought you'd of followed, as it's probably the same reason you use it as your Flickr name?! Although you're now Nikon user, but that's a different story!

Cheers Ant @ TrailofAnts.com

Canon Fodder said...

Thanks Ant,

One small mystery cleared up. As to my nick; Nope I was not thinking of Canon manufacturers of cameras when I chose it. I was getting slaughtered in Unreal Tournament 2004; I really was Cannon Fodder!