Saturday, June 23, 2007

Shift Work II

Well I've come to the end of another week on the new shift and have, effectively, a three day weekend in front of me. This is nice, but it would help if my employers had been kind enough to pay me the extra money they offered me for working this shift. Unsurprisingly the accounts department have screwed up. They obviously thought I was coming in late and working until two thirty to make up my time! Three day weekends and day-times at home do not make up for missing my kids and pushing through to the wee hours. I'm famously short tempered when it comes to money. Never having any helps. If it's not sorted by the next pay packet I'm back to days whether my employers like it or not. I've watched too many mates argue for months over new pay or working conditions, while the money earns interest in the bosses bank account.

On another level it seems my employers want to sack all their key staff! A new rule has been passed down from above in reaction to an alarming rise in bodged jobs and unhappy customers. To supplant a perfectly adequate grievance procedure they have invented a set of rules that is being called, "Five strikes and you're out!" Essentially each error that makes its way to to a customer will initiate a witch hunt to track down a scapegoat. The unlucky soul found guilty of being totally responsible will then receive a strike. Dependant on a rolling score that starts with each persons first strike one of five punishments is then metered out; starting with an official verbal warning and ending with the termination of contract. I've never heard of such nonsense! Clearly the sign of weak management. This means that if I have more than 0.0125 jobs wrong in 100 I'm in deep trouble. The numbers are quite scary; I do a lot of jobs in a year and just five missed typos could lose me my job!

The daft thing is it is all so unnecessary. Everybody knows who the weak links are. The ones who hold their positions due to nepotism or long penetrating tongues down their superiors backsides. Get tough and use the existing rules to lose this baggage, and stop firing shots across the bows of the good guys.

No comments: